LAWRENNY - from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833)
LAWRENNY (LAWRENNEY), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Pembroke, containing 422 inhabitants. This parish is situated on a branch of Milford Haven, over which it has a ferry, and comprises a large portion of enclosed and well cultivated land. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and in some parts enriched with noble plantations. Lawrenny Hall, the ancient seat of the late Hugh Barlow, Esq., who represented Pembroke and its contributory boroughs in eight successive parliaments, and now a ruin, is beautifully situated on a point of land between Milford Haven, on the west, and a wide creek branching from it to the north-east, towards Creswell bay: the demesne, which is co-extensive with the parish, is embellished with a rich variety of scenery, presenting an agreeable contrast of wood and water: and the luxuriant groves which shaded the ancient mansion are still seen in every point of view, embosoming the venerable church, which formed an interesting and highly picturesque object in the views from the hall. This fine estate is entailed on the family of --- Lord Philipps, of Haverfordwest, Esq. Limestone, both for building and to be burned for manure, abounds in this parish and the quarrying and burning of it affords employment to a portion of the inhabitants, a great number of whom are also engaged, during the winter season, in dredging for oysters, which are found here in great abundance, and conveyed principally to the London market, in boats from Chatham and Rochester, for the loading of which the coast affords every facility. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £13, and in the patronage of Mrs. Barlow. The church dedicated to St.Caradoc, is a venerable cruciform structure, in the early style of English architecture, with an elegant square embattled tower, which is seen to great advantage from almost every side, rising above the rich foliage by which the body is concealed. In a sepulchral chapel belonging to the family of Barlow is a splendid monument to the memory of the late Hugh Barlow, Esq., consisting of an altar tomb of variegated marble, on which is placed an elegant sarcophagus of white marble, bearing the family arms of Barlow and Crespigny: this monument was erected by his widow, who was of the latter family, and who also placed in the chapel two superb vases of alabaster, four feet in height, supported on pedestals of white marble. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. This is one of the four parishes to which Dr. Jones bequeathed, in 1698, considerable property for the relief of decayed housekeepers and the apprenticing of children, with a discretionary power to his executor and brother. the Rev.William, Jones, to whose memory a handsome mural tablet has been erected in the church of this place, to add other parishes: the portion assigned to Lawrenny, from the produce of this charity, is about £30 per ann., appropriated pursuant to the directions of the testator. The poor are supported by an average annual expenditure of £171. 2.
Gareth Hicks, 29 Dec 1999