"LLANYCEVN (LLAN-Y-CEVN), a parish in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 13 miles (N.E. by E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 437 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated at the eastern extremity of the county, bordering upon Carmarthenshire, is watered by the Eastern Cleddy, which, after traversing it in a southerly direction, joins the western river of the same name, to form the great haven of Milford: the lands are all enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and enlivened by the winding of the Cleddy and some small tributary streams, which join that river within the limits of the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and with £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Sir R.B.P. Philipps, Bart. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £65.19." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



Monumental Inscriptions for this parish are available from the Dyfed Family History Society.



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464343
  • 1851 Census - 0104230
  • 1861 Census - 0543241
  • 1871 Census - 0850850
  • 1881 Census - 1342301
  • 1891 Census - 6099632

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanycefn Parish Church David Thomas, Curate

Parish entry for Maenclochog with Llandilo and Llanycefn from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Mary & St Teilo, Llandilo (in ruins) & Parish Church (Llanycefn)
  • Incumbent and Curates; S Howell
  • Rural Deanery of Dungleddy
  • Acreage 6,974 & 2,725 ; Population 783 & 261

    Church Records

    Parish register: Christenings (1816-1979), Marriages (1813-1911, 1917-60), Burials (1816-1980) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1805, 1807-11, 1813, 1816-37, 1844-6, 1849-57, 1861, 1863-5, 1871-80) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105185.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels: None found


    Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Llanycefn which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Llanycefn from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



    Hackett, Ted. Gone, but not forgotten. Dyfed FHS journal Vol5/8 Dec 1996. William Phillip of Blaensawd farm, Llanycefn.


    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN097237 (Lat/Lon: 51.879451, -4.76665), Llanycefn which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Llan-y-Cefn parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

    • Llanycefn (46); Blaen-llaethdy, Blaen-Llwydiarth, Blaen-sawd, Brechfa, Dol-felfed, Ford, Gilfach, Glan-Cleddau, Llangwm, Llanycefn , Nant-y-gof, Rhiwiau, Rhos-y-gwydin, Rhydyfallen, Sychbant, Tir-bach.