"LLANRIAN (LLAN-RHIAN), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N.E.) from St. David's, containing 715 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the north-western extremity of the county, and on the coast of St. George's channel, by which it is bounded on the west and north: the surrounding scenery is pleasing, and the views over the channel and the adjacent country are interesting and. extensive. It constitutes a prebend in the cathedral church of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £19. 9. 7., and annexed to the archdeaconry of Carmarthen. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 11. 3., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St.Rheanus, is not remarkable for any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. Near the church are some Druidical remains, consisting of many large stones, most of which are now broken: they were formerly erect, and, in their arrangement and general appearance, formed in miniature, according to Mr. Fenton, a tolerably correct representation of Stonehenge. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £264." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
MIs by Dyfed Family History Society for Llanrhian, Croesgoch, The Baptist Chapel [Old Cemetery].
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104237
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850857
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099648
|Croesgoch Chapel, Croes-goch (Welsh Baptist)|
|Elim Capel Bach Baptist Sunday School, Ffordd-Y-Felin, Trefin;Trevine, Llanrhian|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Church and chapel photographs on the People's Collection Wales site
- Church and overgrown cemetery at Llanrhian
- Croesgoch Baptist Chapel, Llanrhian
- Elim Baptist Chapel, Trevine
- Trevine Calvinistic Methodist Chapel. Mathry
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Rhiain
A few entries CMB (1686-) included in earliest extant PR
Parish registers: Christenings (1729-1957), Marriages (1729-1970) Banns (1878-1905), Burials (1729-1993) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR C (1686-1812, extracts to 1903), M (1729-1807, extracts to 1862) B (1731-1812, extracts to 1880) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1739, 1798-1801, 1803, 1806-79) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105180.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Various landscape/seascape photographs on the People's Collection Wales site
The transcription of the section for Llanrian from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanrhian to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanrhian has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
See Not everyone knows this for coverage of the slate industry in Llanrhian, under " Slate Quarrying in Pembrokeshire".
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM824312 (Lat/Lon: 51.937088, -5.166235), Llanrhian which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanrhian parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
- Llanrian ; Aber Eiddy, Barry Island Fm, Caer-hafod, Castel Coch, Cerig Gwylan, Croes-goch, Henllys, Llanan, Llanrian, Parc y Mynwen, Pen Clegyr, Pen-y-parc, Porth Dwfn, Porth Eiddy, Porth Eoer, Porth Ffynnon, Porth Gain, Porth-Gain, Pwll Llong, Pwll Olva, Pwll Whiting, Sickly, Traeth Llyfn, Tre-Cynon, Tre newydd fawr, Tre yarched, Trevaccoon, Trevigan, Trevine, Trwyn Castell, Trwyn Ellen, Trwyn Llwyd, Waun Fawr, Ynys Barry, Ynys Fach