"LLYS-Y-VRÂN, a parish in the hundred of DUN-GLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (N.E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 202 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated nearly in the centre of the county, comprises a considerable tract of arable and pasture land, the whole of which, with only a very small exception, is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation: the soil is various, but generally productive. The surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any striking peculiarity of feature, is agreeably diversified; and the views over the adjacent country are interesting and extensive. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £3. 0. 5 endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the joint patronage of Sir R.B.P. Philipps, Bart., and Col. Scourfield, the former of whom has two turns and the latter one. The church, dedicated to St. Meilyr, who flourished about the middle of the fifth century, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £76. 4." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464343
  • 1851 Census - 0104230
  • 1861 Census - 0543241
  • 1871 Census - 0850850
  • 1881 Census - 1342301
  • 1891 Census - 6099632

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llys y Fran Parish Church James Thomas, Rector
  • Gwastad CM Erected in 1836 Thomas Phillips, Elder, Southfield

Parish entry for Llysyfran with Walton East from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Meilir & St Mary (Walton East)
  • Incumbent and Curates; J J Evans
  • Rural Deanery of Dungleddy
  • Acreage 1,495 & 2,076 ; Population 113 & 148

    Church Records

    Parish register: Christenings (1728-1803, 1813-1993), Marriages (1728-1803, 1813-1903, 1924-63), Burials (1728-1803, 1813-1992) at NLW with Mf/fac copies at Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1820, 1822-37, 1839-41, 1843-4, 1846-52, 1855, 1858-63, 1865-6, 1868-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105187.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Y Gwastad, near Forehill [Calvinistic Methodists, 1836]. Records ; See Woodstock SN04842484 Built 1836, modified 187 Still open 2000 Coflein On Dyfed FHS Gwastad Llysyfran CM chapel - still open in 2006

    Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Llys-y-Fran which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Llys-y-fran from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN047246 (Lat/Lon: 51.885838, -4.83862), Llys-y-Fran which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Llys-y-Fran parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

    • Llys-y-fran (51); Gwastad, Llys y fran, Parc-y-marl, Pen-y-bont, Rhyd-ddu, Southfield, Southfield Villa, Velindre.