"LUDCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (S.E.) from Narberth, containing 228 inhabitants. This parish, which is in the south-eastern part of the county, is pleasantly situated about two miles eastward from the road from Narberth to Tenby. Its surface is uneven, and the soil is of various kinds: the lands are but partially enclosed and cultivated. The substratum is limestone of very superior quality, which is worked upon an extensive scale: this stone is susceptible of a beautiful polish, and many slabs raised from these quarries have been manufactured into elegant mantelpieces, and used for other ornamental purposes: it is also burnt for manure, there being no fewer than six kilns for this purpose in constant operation, for the supply of the more northern parts of the county. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £3. 14. 4 1/2.,and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Elidyr, is a neat and well-built edifice, situated in a bleak part of the parish, on a limestone rock, which has been quarried all round, leaving the sacred fabrick many feet above the level of the adjacent ground. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £39. 3." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104230
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850851
- 1881 Census - 1342302
- 1891 Census - 6099633
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Ludchurch with Templeton from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Elidyr's Church
Parish registers: Christenings (1732-1992), Marriages (1732-1971), Burials (1732-1993) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT CMB (1779-1839) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1839, 1842-54, 1857-60, 1865-77) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105187.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Ebenezer, in Longstone [Independents, 1848] SN14361004 Built 1844 on a different site, rebuilt 1862. Still open 1993 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2008)
Old quarry near Ludchurch - on the Cistercian Way site
The transcription of the section for Ludchurch from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ludchurch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ludchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Evans, A. Eric. Our village : a history of Ludchurch .[Ludchurch?] : [A. Eric Evans?], 1994. 80p
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN141107 (Lat/Lon: 51.763829, -4.695454), Ludchurch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Ludchurch parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Ludchurch (124); Blaen cil coed, Gellihalog, Longstone, Ludchurch , Middleton, Westerton.