1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Manorbier contained the following places:
"MANORBIER, (or Manorbear), a parish in the hundred of Castlemartin, county Pembroke, 5 miles S.E. of Pembroke, its post town. It is a station on the Pembroke and Tenby railway. The village is situated on the coast near Manorbear Bay. The parish includes the hamlets of Jameston and Newton, and has the ruins of the castle of William-de-Barri, which came through the Windsors, &c., to Phillipps of Picton. Some portions of the ruins are in excellent preservation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, and in the patronage of Christ's College, Cambridge, value £125. The church, dedicated to St. James, has a slender spire, and an effigy of Giraldus Sylvester, who was born in this parish.
"JAMESTON, a village in the parish of Manorbier, county Pembroke, 4 miles S.E. of Pembroke."
"NEWTON, a village in the parish of Manorbier, county Pembroke, 5 miles W. of Pembroke."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018