"MARLAIS (MARLOES), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (W.S.W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 427 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the southern shore of Muggleswick bay . . . It comprises a considerable tract of arable and pasture land, which, with the exception of a comparatively small portion, is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The village is principally inhabited by fishermen, who obtain a livelihood in the lobster and crab fisheries, which are carried on here to a considerable extent, and by the sale of leeches, which are found in great numbers in a sheet of water covering from sixty to seventy acres, called Marlais Mere, and which, during the summer months, when it is dry, affords excellent pasturage for cattle. . . The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small edifice, not possessing any architectural details of importance. A former structure, which was dedicated to St. Mary, and situated near the beach, was destroyed by an encroachment of the sea . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104235
- 1861 Census - 0543243
- 1871 Census - 0850855
- 1881 Census - 1342304
- 1891 Census - 6099644
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Brides and Marloes from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Chapel photographs on the People's Collection Wales site
- Marloes Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
- Moriah English Baptist Chapel, Marloes
Parish register: Christenings (1749-51, 1771-1876), Marriages (1749-1969), Burials (1749-51, 1771-1924) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1836, 1838-75, 1877) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105188.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Various landscape/seascape photographs on the People's Collection Wales site
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marloes to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Marloes has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Coastland Local History - covers the areas of Dale, St. Ishmael's, St. Brides and Marloes
Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.181-184.
Cantrill, T C. The Hut-Circles on Gateholm, Pem, in Archaeologia Cambrensis , 1910, pp 271-82
Thomas, W. Gwyn, (William Gwyn). A cross-decorated stone at Martin's Haven, Marloes, Pembs. Archaeologia Cambrensis 138 (1989), p. 113-14
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM784084 (Lat/Lon: 51.730455, -5.210137), Marloes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- HM Coastguard, records Including log books of "Wooltack Point station, Marloes, 1964-1969.........."
Places, villages, farms etc within Marloes parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)
- MARLOES (97); PHILBEACH FARM; LITTLE MARLOES; CRABHALL FARM; FOPSTON FARM; MUSSLEWICK FARM; WINTERTON; MARLOES MERE; HOOK FARM; MARTINS HAVEN; DEER PARK