"MYNWERE (MINWEAR), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (W. by S.) from Narberth, containing 161 inhabitants. This parish, from a mistaken etymology of its name, which was read Mwyn Aur, signifying "a gold mine," was supposed to have contained gold-ore, and some fruitless attempts were in consequence made to discover it. The name is, however, with greater probability, supposed to be derived from a weir on the Eastern Cleddy, on the banks of which river the parish is situated, which was noted for the abundance of fish taken there during the season. The parish comprises a moderate portion of arable and pasture land, which is all enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified with wood and water, there being an extensive plantation on the north-eastern boundary of the parish; and the views over the adjacent country are not destitute of interest. Picton Castle, with its rich and well-wooded grounds, appears to much advantage on the other side of the Cleddy, together with Slebech Hall and its demesne. The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Hon. Baron de Rutzen, of Slebech Hall. The church is dedicated to St. Wonan. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £45. 13." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104232
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850851
- 1881 Census - 1342302
- 1891 Census - 6099635
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Martlewy with Lawrenny and Minwear from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1753-81, 1813-1987), Marriages (1757-1810, 1813-1935), Burials (1753-1807, 1813-1991) at Pem.RO
Copy ms PR C (1795-1812) B (1784-1812) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1818, 1820-1, 1823-41, 1844, 1849, 1851-3, 1855-9, 1872, 1874-6, 1879-81) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105190.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
The transcription of the section for Minwear from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Minwear to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Minwear has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Davies, Robert Llewellyn. A river never sleeps : a local history of Martletwy, Minwear, Newton &, Coedcanlas 1750-1950 .Landshipping, Martletwy & Newton Millennium Committee?, c1999. 436 p., index.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN048129 (Lat/Lon: 51.780823, -4.831538), Minwear which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Minwear parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Minwear (111); Broomhill, Conaga Dingle, Cott Fm., Folly Fm., Layers Park, Minwear, Minwear Wood, Nash, Pen Glyn.