"MONINGTON, a parish in the hundred of KEMMES, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (W.S.W.) from Cardigan, containing 102 inhabitants. This place was by the Welsh called Eglwys Wythwr, signifying literally "the church of eight men," there being at the time of its foundation precisely that number of freeholders in the parish. The parish comprises but a moderate area, which is all enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is not distinguished by any peculiar features; but the views from the higher grounds embrace some objects of interest. The living is a vicarage not in charge, consolidated with that of St. Dogmael's, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is situated at the south-western declivity of a lofty eminence. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £67.18." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464343
- 1851 Census - 0104239
- 1861 Census - 0543246
- 1871 Census - 0850859
- 1881 Census - 1342307
- 1891 Census - 6099654
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Dogmael's with Llantwyd and Monington from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Diocesan records suggest that c1790 this parish had registers going back to 1751
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1993), Marriages (1773-1809, 1816-33, 1837-1968), Burials (1813-1993) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1818-44) B (1802-87) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1679-81, 1686-7, 1689, 1697, 1703, 1799-1800, 1802-24, 1826-40, 1842, 1844-7, 1849-54, 1860, 1865-9, 1871-3, 1875) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105190.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Owen, H. Geraint. The Monington esker, near Cardigan, Dyfed . Swansea Geographer 32 (1995), p. 79-87
The transcription of the section for Monington from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Monington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Monington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN139443 (Lat/Lon: 52.065787, -4.715795), Monington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Monington parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
- Monington (5); Blaen-Awen; Castell; Glan-dwr; Mill; Monington; Plas-Lawrence; Pont-Saeson; Rhyd-galed; Tre-figyn; Tre-newydd