Pembroke St Michael
See the Kain maps to see the extent of the parish boundary
"The livings of all the three parishes of St. Mary, St. Michael, and St. Nicholas, are consolidated into one discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £9, (viz., £4 for St. Michael's, and £5 for that of Monkton, or St. Nicholas, St. Mary's not being in charge,) and in the gift of Sir John Owen, Bart. The church . . . dedicated to St. Michael has been nearly rebuilt from the ground, in the later style of English architecture, the expense having been defrayed by a parochial rate. Each of these churches had anciently chapels of ease, situated a little distance without the walls of the town; and on the summit of an eminence, about three-quarters of a mile to the south of the town, still stands an ancient ecclesiastical edifice, dedicated to St. Daniel, with a lofty spire rising from a low tower, now private property. . . There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. A grammar school was founded here, in 1690; but its endowment does not exceed £10 per annum. A National school for the united parishes (including therefore the village of Monkton), in which two hundred children of both sexes receive gratuitous instruction, is supported by subscription: the school is held in a house in the town, hired for the purpose, which is also appropriated to the use of a savings-bank. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464346
- 1851 Census - 0104233
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850853
- 1881 Census - 1342303/4
- 1891 Census - 6099639-41
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
St. Michaels Church, Pembroke - Easter 1949 - on the People's Collection Wales site
CMB (1711-50) entered in Pembroke, St Mary
Parish registers: Christenings (1711-1901), Marriages (1711-1930), Burials (1711-1929) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops Transcripts for this parish have the LDS Call Number: 0105196.
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pembroke St Michael to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pembroke St Michael has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM991013 (Lat/Lon: 51.674449, -4.906987), Pembroke St Michael which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Pembroke, St Michael parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Pembroke St Michael (149); Alleston, Grove, Herbertsmoor, Holyland, Kingsfold, Kingston, Lammaston, Pembroke, Penny Br.,Rose Valley, Underdown