1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Penrith contained the following places:
"PENRITH, (or Penrydd), a parish in the hundred of Cilgerran, county Pembroke, 7 miles from Cardigan, its post town, and the same distance S.W. of Newcastle-in-Emlyn. The village, which is of small extent, is situated under Vrenin Vaur mountain. The parish includes the chapelry of Castellan. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's, value £100. The church is dedicated to St. Cristiolus.
"CASTELLAN, a chapelry in the parish of Penrith, hundred of Cilgerran, in the county of Pembroke, South Wales, 6 miles to the S. of Cardigan. It is situated at the eastern extremity of the Precelly range of mountains, at the foot of Vrenin Vawr."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018