"REDBARTH (RYDBERTH), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (N.W.) from Tenby, containing 134 inhabitants. This place was formerly a hamlet in the parish of Carew, from which it has been severed and erected into a distinct parish of itself: it is situated in the south- eastern part of the county, and is of very small extent. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £1200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and originally in the presentation of the Vicar of Carew, but now, by lapse or otherwise, in that of the Bishop of St. David's. The church having fallen into a very dilapidated condition, is now undergoing complete repair. There is a small place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £6.16." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104233
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850852
- 1881 Census - 1342303
- 1891 Census - 6099637
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Florence and Redberth from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
CMB to 1807 entered in PR Carew
Parish registers: Christenings (1794-1993), Marriages (1808-1978) Banns (1808-12, 1919-86), Burials (1794-1992) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR/BT CB (1802-9) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1802-3, 1805-7, 1809-28, 1830-8, 1840-76, 1884-90, 1896-9, 1901- 1905) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105202.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
- Chapel , in Redberth village [Wesleyan Methodists, 1822]. Records ; births and bapts, 1847-1920. Other circuit records possibly pertaining to this chapel include accounts, minute books, Sunday School papers etc, also at Pem RO On Dyfed FHS
The transcription of the section for Redberth from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Redberth to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Redberth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Hughes, Basil Jottings on the History of Pembrokeshire Manorbier, St Florence and Redberth [Kindle Edition 2013]
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN083039 (Lat/Lon: 51.701263, -4.775534), Redberth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Redberth parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Redberth (134); Redberth.