Reynoldston / Reynalton
"REYNOLDSTON, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Narberth, containing 109 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the south-eastern part of the county, and on the turnpike road leading from Narberth to Pembroke, comprises but a very small tract of arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The village has every appearance of antiquity, and in all probability was originally inhabited by a portion of the Flemings to whom Henry I. assigned territories in this part of the principality, with a view to strengthen his interests in the country, and for the greater security of the possessions which the Normans had usurped from the natives. Though now fallen almost into decay, some of the cottages have still the round chimneys which usually distinguish the Flemish dwellings. This place was formerly only a hamlet in the parish of Begelly. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's, though formerly, for some time after the endowment of its church, in that of the Rector of Begelly. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a low tower, and in a very dilapidated condition. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £11. 2." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104232
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850852
- 1881 Census - 1342302
- 1891 Census - 6099636
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Jeffreyston with Reynoldston from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Parish registers: Christenings (1786-1977), Marriages (1786-1948), Burials (1786-1953) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR (1786-1802) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1800, 1802-4, 1806-76, 1879, 1881, 1903-4) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105202.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Chapel , in Reynalton village [Independents, c 1866-70] SN09150876 Built 1867, rebuilt 1906 Still open 1993 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is a translation of the entry from this book for this chapel contributed by Jon Mein
The transcription of the section for Reynoldston/Reynalton from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Reynoldston / Reynalton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Reynoldston / Reynalton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN091086 (Lat/Lon: 51.743611, -4.766136), Reynoldston / Reynalton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Reynalton parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Reynalton (129); Coverhill Fm., Reynalton.