"ROBESTON WATHEN, or EAST, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (W. by N.) from Narberth, containing 421 inhabitants. This parish is beautifully situated on the turnpike road leading from Narberth to Haverfordwest, and within a short distance from the Canaston or East Cleddy river, which is navigable to within a few hundred yards of its western boundary. It comprises but a moderate portion of arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and cultivated: the soil is fertile, and the inhabitants are employed in agriculture, and in the procuring of limestone, which is found in some parts of the parish of a very excellent quality, resembling that of Aberthaw in Glamorganshire, and for the exportation of which the river Cleddy affords every facility. The village is seated on an eminence, and with the lofty tower of its church, rising above the thick foliage of the adjacent wood, forms an interesting and highly picturesque object, as seen from a distance. The surrounding scenery is beautifully and richly diversified, and the views over the adjacent country abound with interesting and romantic features. . . The church, which is situated on elevated ground, is an ancient structure with a lofty square embattled tower. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104231
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850851
- 1881 Census - 1342302
- 1891 Census - 6099635
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Narberth with Robeston Walthen and Mounton from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR CB (1737-89) M (1737-54?, 1800-5) recorded in 1831 apparently lost. The 1933 return claims that a ms copy of PR (1750-1812) made in 1902-3 was kept at the parish church of Narberth
Parish registers: Christenings (1790-1968), Marriages (1814-1970), Burials (1790-1968) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR [extracts] M (1756-1837) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1801, 1803-7, 1809-10, 1812, 1814-67) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105203.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Various landscape photographs of the area and surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Robeston Wathen to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Robeston Wathen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN083154 (Lat/Lon: 51.804499, -4.781584), Robeston Wathen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Robeston Wathen parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Robeston Wathen (114); Abystree, Atheston, Canaston Bridge, Coxlake, Middle Hook, Returno Fm., Robeston Back, Robeston Wathen, St. Kenox.