"ROBESTON (WEST), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles ( N.N.W.) from Milford, containing 112 inhabitants. This place is situated a few miles to the north of Milford Haven, and on the old turnpike road leading to Old Milford, or Haking. It comprises but a moderate tract of arable and pasture land, which is all enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. Robeston Hall, a seat belonging to William Henry Scourfield, Esq., of New Mote, is a good family mansion, pleasantly situated, and forming, with its grounds, which are well laid out, an ornamental object. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £88. 8." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104235
- 1861 Census - 0543243
- 1871 Census - 0850855
- 1881 Census - 1342304
- 1891 Census - 6099644
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Walwyn's Castle with Robeston West from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1731-1992), Marriages (1731-1836, 1838-1926, 1930-67), Burials (1731-1992) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR C (1731-1812) M (1742-1812) B (1743-1812) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799, 1801-7, 1809-10, 1813-21, 1823-36, 1840-7, 1849-67, 1869) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105203.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
The transcription of the section for Robeston West from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Robeston West to another place.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Penhale and Co., Solicitors, [Haverfordwest] Records Include ".... papers relating to Charles Hugh Allen of Robeston Hall [Robeston West], 1884-1895 ................"
You can see the administrative areas in which Robeston West has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM884093 (Lat/Lon: 51.742177, -5.067015), Robeston West which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Robeston West parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Robeston West (102); Bramble, Rickeston, Robeston Cross, Robeston West.