"RHÔSMARKET (RHÔS-MARKET), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (E.N.E.) from Milford, containing 456 inhabitants. This parish comprises a moderate extent of arable and pasture land, of which the whole is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation: the surface is undulated, and in some parts hilly. Its situation, about half-way between Haverfordwest and Milford, affords great facility for conveying to market its agricultural produce. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £4, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The vicar, in addition to the small tithes, has the tithe of hay. The church, dedicated to St. Ishmael, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. In the village are the remains of an ancient mansion, formerly the seat of the family of Walters, in which was born Lucy, daughter of Sir Richard Walters, the favourite mistress of Charles II., and mother of the unfortunate Duke of Monmouth: the ruins are now the property of Mrs. Owen Barlow, who is the principal proprietor of land in the parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £110. 10." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104234
- 1861 Census - 0543244
- 1871 Census - 0850854
- 1881 Census - 1342304
- 1891 Census - 6099642
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Tabernacle Independent Chapel, Rosemarket on the People's Collection Wales site
PR CB (1777-1804) recorded in 1831 apparently lost. No mention of PR M (1813-37) in 1933 survey. Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1754
Parish registers: Christenings (1804-12, 1826-89), Marriages (1772-1812, 1837-1969) Banns (1823-1978), Burials 1804-89) at Pem.RO
Copy ms PR [extracts] C (1761-1803) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799, 1801-31, 1833-6, 1838, 1840-2, 1844-50, 1853-5, 1858) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105202.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Tabernacle [Independents, c 1803], Middle St, Rosemarket SM95270861 Built before 1800, rebuilt 1831, restored 1885 Still open 1993 Coflein See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph On Dyfed FHS
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2008)
Various landscape photographs of the area and surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site
Nicolle, Geoffrey. Rosemarket [date?]
The transcription of the section for Rosemarket from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rosemarket to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rosemarket has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.193-195.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Walter family of Roch and Rosemarket Deeds 1699-1784 "The Roch and Rosemarket estates, Pembrokeshire, were bequeathed by Henry and Bridgett Walter to their eldest son, Sir Richard Walter, Sheriff of Pembrokeshire, in 1727. .............. "
- Deeds and papers relating to the Estates of Thomas Henry Davis of Hayston Hall 1699-1886 "The Hayston Hall estate is in the parishes of Llandstadwell and Rosemarket, Pembrokeshire. Thomas Henry Davis purchased the Hall in 1874"
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM950087 (Lat/Lon: 51.739491, -4.971142), Rosemarket which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Papers Associated with the Johnston and Rosemarket District Nursing Association Minute Book - on the People's Collection Wales site
Places, villages, farms etc within Rosemarket parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Rosemarket (106); Bastleford, Broad Moor, East Moor, Furze Hill, Great Westfield,Rose Hill, Rosemarket