The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Slebech contained the following places:

"SLEBECH, a parish in the hundred of Dungleddy, county Pembroke, 7 miles from Haverfordwest, its post town, and 5 W. of Narberth. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Cleddan. In 1148 it belonged to a commandery of Knights Hospitallers. The living is a perpetual curacy with those of Mynwere and Newton annexed, in the diocese of St. David's, value £281. The church contains effigies of the Knights Hospitallers. Slebech Hall, situated on the site of the old commandery, is the principal residence. In the interior is preserved the sword formerly used at the installation of Knights of St. John of Jerusalem."

"PICTON CASTLE, the seat of the late Lord Milford, in the parish of Slebech, on the river Cleddau, county Pembroke, 6 miles S.W. of Narberth. It is situated at the head of Milford Haven, and is surrounded by well-wooded grounds, with Castle Lake camp."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018