"BRIDE'S (ST.), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (W.S.W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 132 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the south side of the bay in St. George's channel, to which it gives name, and at the neck of a small inlet from the bay, which flows up almost to the churchyard, forming what is called St. Bride's haven. A considerable herring fishery, which has been discontinued for many years, was formerly carried on here with very great advantage . . . The surrounding scenery is richly diversified, and various parts of the parish afford extensive marine views and pleasing prospects over the adjacent country. Hill, the elegant mansion of Charles Philipps, Esq., is beautifully sheltered by luxuriant plantations, being open only to a verdant lawn, which slopes gently to the creek that comes up nearly to the churchyard. . . . The church is not distinguished by any architectural features of importance. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104235
- 1861 Census - 0543243
- 1871 Census - 0850855
- 1881 Census - 1342304
- 1891 Census - 6099644
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Brides and Marloes from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1725-1992), Marriages (1726-1970), Burials (1725-1992) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR M (1725-1812, extracts to 1836) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800-1, 1803, 1805-15, 1825-77) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105204.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
St Bride's Haven - on geograph.org
Langthorne, Harry. LANGHORNE of St. Brides, Dyfed FHS journal, 1995 The writer considers the potential candidates for John Langhorne, who emigrated to Virginia in the 17th century. He mentions several members of the Laugharne families of Pembrokeshire.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Brides to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Brides has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Coastland Local History - covers the areas of Dale, St. Ishmael's, St. Brides and Marloes
Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.181-184.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM805106 (Lat/Lon: 51.750943, -5.181169), St Brides which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within St Brides parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rosemary St.Leger-May)
- ST. BRIDES (96); RIPPERSTON FARM; WINDMILL PARK; PEARSON FARM; EASTFFIELD FARM; THE FALLS; ORLANDON; ST. BRIDES