"ELVIS (ST.), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (E. by S.) from St. David's, containing 44 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the shore of St. Bride's bay in St. George's channel, and near the road from Haverfordwest to St.David's, is one of the smallest in the principality, containing only two farms, which do not comprise together more than two hundred acres. An attempt to procure silver was once made here, but the success with which it was attended was not sufficient to encourage the adventurers to establish any permanent works. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St, David's, rated in the king's books at £2.10. 10., endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Teilaw, is a small edifice, possessing no architectural features deserving notice: there is no enclosed churchyard, the funerals of deceased inhabitants being generally solemnized in the adjoining parishes of Brawdy and Whitchurch. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £5.16." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104237
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850858
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099649
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Whitchurch with St Elvis and Solva from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
C (1784-1811) M (1791-1811) entered in the PR of Whitchurch. The church was a ruin by 1990.
Parish registers: Christenings (1784-1811, 1817-36), Marriages (1791-1839) Burials - nil at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR C (1784-1811, extracts to 1824) M (1791-1811, extracts to 1839) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1813, 1817-22, 1824, 1829, 1833-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105236.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Various landscape photographs of the area and surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site
The transcription of the section for St Elvis from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Elvis to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Elvis has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM816239 (Lat/Lon: 51.870449, -5.174346), St Elvis which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within St Elvis parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
- St Elvis ; Aber West, Dinas Fawr, Penrhyn, St Elvis Farm