"LAWRENCE (ST,), a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 8 1/2 miles (N. by W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 211 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the northwestern part of the county, and comprehends a moderate extent of arable and pasture land, of which the greater portion is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surface is boldly undulated; the surrounding scenery, though not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, is generally pleasing; and from the higher grounds some good views are obtained of the adjoining country, which is much diversified. The soil, though varying in different parts of the parish, is in general fertile: the parochial rates are assessed by the ploughland. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £3. 18. 9., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, from which circumstance the parish derives its name, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £52. 6." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104237
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850858
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099649
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for St Lawrence with Ford from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1767-99, 1814-1992), Marriages (1766-1954, 1959-70) Banns (1799-1944), Burials (1767-99, 1813-1992) at Pem.RO
Mf copies C (1814-47) M (1800-37) Banns (1799-1944), B (1813-1946) at NLW
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1770-1897) M (1767-1869) B (1767-1811) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799, 1802-54, 1866, 1871-4) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105188.
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
The transcription of the section for St Lawrence from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Lawrence to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Lawrence has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Skyrme family of Llawhaden and Protheroe family of Stonehal,l St Lawrence, archives 1467-[19th century] "The Skyrme family came from Shropshire, and resided at Llawhaden, Pembrokeshire, since the early 17th century. ............. John Skyrme, of Llawhaden, was High Sheriff in 1716. His wife was Frances Skyrme, and their daughter was Lucy Cordelia Skyrme. She married John Protheroe, of Egremont, Carmarthenshire, the son and heir of Lewis Protheroe. John Protheroe was the High Sheriff of Pembrokeshire in 1784. In 1793, he inherited Stonehall (or Stone Hall), in St Lawrence, Pembrokeshire, and moved there"
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM909273 (Lat/Lon: 51.905279, -5.041008), St Lawrence which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within St Lawrence parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
- St Lawrence ; Ffynnon-gren, Gwndwn-gwyn, Newton, St Lawrence, Stone Hall, Tre rhos, Tre Wilym, Ty cant