"TREFGARN (GREAT), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Haverfordwest, containing 112 inhabitants. It is intersected from north to south by the Western Cleddy river, up the valley of which passes the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to Fishguard. The north-western part of it is composed chiefly of the Trefgarn and Leweston mountains, which form an elevated, heathy, and barren tract, unfit for cultivation. The most remarkable natural feature of its surface is that from which it derives its name, signifying "the town of the rock," and which consists of two rocks of striking aspect, rising abruptly to a considerable height above the moor, and presenting the appearance of ruined castles, an idea which seems confirmed to the eye by their being situated so as to command the narrow pass of the mountain through which the Western Cleddy here flows, and which, on the opposite eastern side, presents a fine grove feathering down to the water's edge. The portion of the parish lying to the east of the Cleddy is called Little Trefgarn. Trefgarn Hall, situated a little to the west of the village, is a modern seat, erected in 1824, by the present proprietor, Dr. Evans, and commands a fine and extensive view over the district of Rhôs.The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £1. 13. 9., and in the patronage of Dr.Evans, who is proprietor of the whole parish. Some old encampments were formerly traceable here, but their defences have been levelled. The average annual expenditure for the relief of the poor amounts to £35. 10." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Jenkins Family of Merlin's Bridge Papers "Papers of the Jenkins family of Merlin's Bridge, 1764-1974, including ................... records of Millbrook Granite Quarry, [Treffgarne] 1928-1946......"
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104236
- 1861 Census - 0543244
- 1871 Census - 0850857
- 1881 Census - 1342305
- 1891 Census - 6099647
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Spittal with Treffgarne from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Odd entries CMB (1803-12) with PR Ambleston. C (1984-9) with PR Spittal
Parish registers: Christenings (1727-1975), Marriages (1727-1962), Burials (1727-1990) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1804, 1806-9, 1811-19, 1821-56, 1858-9) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105208.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Various landscape photographs of the area and surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site
The transcription of the section for Treffgarne from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Treffgarne to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Treffgarne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Trench, Allan. A high southerly palaeolatitude for southern Britain in early Ordovician times : palaeomagnetic data from the Treffgarne valley formation south-west Wales . Geophysical Journal International 108 (1992), p. 89-100
Volcanogenic mineralisation in the Treffgarne area, south-west Dyfed.Keyworth British Geological Survey, 1987. 17p : ill, chart, plans, maps ; 30cm.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM948241 (Lat/Lon: 51.877443, -4.982771), Treffgarne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Treffgarne parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Treffgarne (54); Clyn Felin, Great Treffgarne Mountain, Maiden Castle, North Hill, Poll Cairn, Treffgarne, Treffgarne Br.