Hide

Uzmaston

hide
Hide

"UZMASTON, a parish in the hundred of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 miles (S.E.) from Haverfordwest, containing 525 inhabitants, This parish, commonly called "Ismiston," is situated on the Western Cleddy river, and comprises a moderate extent of enclosed and cultivated land: the soil is generally fertile, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The western part of it, containing the straggling extremity of a suburb of Haverfordwest, called Cartlett, is included within the new electoral limits of that borough. The parish rates are levied by the ploughland, in the measurement of which ten feet and a half are allowed to each rod. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Precentor and Chapter of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Ismael, is not remarkable for any architectural details. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £229. 4." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Hide
topup

Census

The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464343
  • 1851 Census - 0104236
  • 1861 Census - 0543244
  • 1871 Census - 0850856
  • 1881 Census - 1342305
  • 1891 Census - 6099647
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Uzmaston Parish Church "For the last eight years there has been a service every fortnight on a Sunday afternoon in a barn not licensed but permitted by the Bishop. .........." Samuel Owen Meares, Perpetual Curate
  • Cartlett Chapel of Ease to Uzmaston Church Licensed 7 April 1841 "The room was fitted to meet the needs of a large number of parishioners above a mile distant from the parish church of Uzmaston. The room was fitted by the exertions principally of James Mayler Esq, George Harvey Esq of Haverfordwest, George Phillips Esq." Samuel Owen Meares, Perpetual Curate

Parish entry for Uzmaston with Boulston from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St Ismael & Chapel of Ease (Boulston)
  • Incumbent and Curates; T A Harries
  • Rural Deanery of Dungleddy
  • Acreage 2,102 & 1,570 ; Population 479 & 109
    topup

    Church Records

    Parish registers: Christenings (1720-1959), Marriages (1733-79, 1788-1993) Banns (1827, 1855, 1869-1994), Burials (1723-1972) at Pem.RO

    MF copies CMB (1720-1812) at NLW

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1810, 1812-16, 1818-70) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105214.

    Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels: None found but see under Haverfordwest, St Mary's for chapels in Cartlett but apparently within that parish

    topup

    Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Uzmaston which are provided by:

    topup

    Gazetteers

    The transcription of the section for Uzmaston from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    topup

    Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Uzmaston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    topup

    Maps

    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM977157 (Lat/Lon: 51.803332, -4.935136), Uzmaston which are provided by:

    topup

    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Uzmaston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

    • Uzmaston (84); Arnold's Down, Cartlett, Church Hill, Cotts Park, Creamsom, Deep Lake, Fortune's Frolic, Good Hook, Uzmaston.