"WALTON (WEST), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Haverfordwest, containing 411 inhabitants. This parish is situated upon the coast of St. Bride's bay, by which it is bounded on the west. The surrounding country is destitute of beauty, but the view over the bay is enlivened by the passing and repassing of vessels. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., and endowed with £400 royal bounty.
The church is not entitled to architectural notice. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £76. 8." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104235
- 1861 Census - 0543243
- 1871 Census - 0850855
- 1881 Census - 1342304
- 1891 Census - 6099644
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Walton West with Talbenny from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
PR M (1755-1812) recorded in 1831 apparently lost. M (1813-37) not recorded in 1933.
Parish registers: Christenings (1763-1992), Marriages (1838-1970) Banns (1824-1946), Burials (1763-1953) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800-4, 1809-65, 1873-4) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105214.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
The transcription of the section for Walton West from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Walton West to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Walton West has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM874131 (Lat/Lon: 51.77631, -5.083022), Walton West which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Walton West parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Walton West (94); Broad Haven, Broadway, Creampots, Little Haven, Millmoor, Nattshook Farm, The Rain, The Settlands, Walton West.