Walwyn's Castle


"WALWYN'S CASTLE, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (S.W. by W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 311 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on St. Bride's bay, is called by the Welsh Castell Gwalchmai, a name probably derived from the tradition that Gwalchmai, cousin of King Arthur, and a warrior of gigantic stature, having been driven from his inheritance in Galway, was wrecked off this coast, and interred here; and his remains are said to have been found in the reign of William the Conqueror. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £7. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient edifice, not re markable for any architectural details. A tumulus near it is supposed to mark the site of the ancient castle, but no particulars of its foundation or history are known: there are no vestiges of buildings of any kind, and the artificial mound may probably be only a sepulchral memorial raised over the remains of Gwalchmai, or some other chieftain. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £139." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]



The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.

Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:

  • 1841 Census - 0464345
  • 1851 Census - 0104235
  • 1861 Census - 0543243
  • 1871 Census - 0850855
  • 1881 Census - 1342304
  • 1891 Census - 6099644

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Walwyn's Castle Parish Church Robert Lang MA, Rector

Parish entry for Walwyn's Castle with Robeston West from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).

  • St James & Parish Church (Robeston West)
  • Incumbent and Curates; D H Richards
  • Rural Deanery of Roose
  • Acreage 3,297 & 1,111 ; Population 424

St Jame's Church, Walwyn's Castle on the People's Collection Wales site


    Church Records

    Parish registers: Christenings (1767-1920), Marriages (1755-1808, 1812-1962), Burials (1755-1993) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1772, 1801-6, 1809-14, 1818-74) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105215.

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels: None found


    Description & Travel

    Various landscape photographs of the area and surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site

    You can see pictures of Walwyn's Castle which are provided by:



    The transcription of the section for Walwyn's Castle from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.



    Brown, J., Phillips, J.W., and Warren. F.J. The history of Haverfordwest with that of some Pembrokeshire parishes, Haverfordwest, L. Brigstocke (1914) pp.167-169.


    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM878111 (Lat/Lon: 51.75814, -5.076199), Walwyn's Castle which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Walwyn's Castle parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)

    • Walwyn's Castle (162); Colestone, Copeston, Gilton Fm., Headborough, Hook, Moor, Ratford Bridge, Redberth, Roman's Castle (Antiquity), Rosemoor, Rosepool, Solbury, Syke Fm.,The Flags.