"WHITCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 12 Miles (N. W. by W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 1028 inhabitants. This parish, which contains the small sea-port town of Solva, described under its own head, is situated on the coast of St. Bride's bay, and on the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to St. David's. It comprises a considerable tract of good arable and pasture land: the surface is abruptly varied, and the scenery, being pleasingly diversified with hill and dale, is in some parts, especially near the town, highly picturesque. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture, in the burning of lime, for which there are some kilns near the entrance of the town of Solva, and in the trade of the port. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £5. 15. 7 1/2., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Precentor and Chapter of the Cathedral Church of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. David, is not remarkable for any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Baptists, Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, and Presbyterians. Caervoriog, in this parish, is the birthplace of Adam Hoton, Bishop of St.David's, at one time ambassador to the Court of France, and Lord High Chancellor of England. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £304. 19." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104237
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850858
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099649
|Felinganol Welsh Baptist Chapel, Middle Mill|
|Hen Capel, Baptist Sunday School, Solva|
|Mount Pleasant Chapel, Solva|
|Babell Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist), Fachelych|
|Capel-Y-Cwm (Calvinistic Methodist), Solva|
|CM chapel, Lower Solva|
|Solva Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Solva|
|Vachelich Chapel, Whitchurch|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Whitchurch with St Elvis and Solva from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1731
Parish registers: Christenings (1753-1974), Marriages (1772-1969, 1973-89) Banns (1772-1874, 1877-94) Solva (1908-85), Burials (1752-1957) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR C (1753-94) M (1772-1812) B (1752-94 and extracts CMB to 1907) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1800, 1802-7, 1809-82, 1886, 1889-91, 1898-9, 1902-4) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0819967.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Held at Pem.RO
- Whitchurch Solva Parochial Church Council minute books 1941-1981
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whitchurch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whitchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..
Broom, Trevor. A History of Solva. Archaeology. Church and chapel, schools, all sorts of social info, people named, jobs, farms, movements of people etc.1995.
Broom, Trevor. Notes for a History of Solva .Part One the 19th Century and Part Two Chapels and Churches in the Parish of Whitchurch .
Davies, E J. Solva, Half a Century of Change . Gives fascinating details of village life, shipping, shops, pubs, schools, etc. between 1800's and 1970. Photographs. No publication date.
Raggett, Paul. Solva - An interesting introduction to village life including life in the 1930's, notable characters of the past, village photographs, Queen Elizabeth's visit 1995 and notes on St. David's airfield .1990, 5th edition 2000.
Warburton, F W. The History of Solva. 1944
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM811252 (Lat/Lon: 51.882104, -5.182586), Whitchurch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Whitchurch parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
- Whitchurch ; Caer Fega, Caer foriog, Gewra, Gribin, Kingheriot, Llanungar, Llanunwas, Llechell, Middle Mill, Nine Wells, Paran, Prendergast, Solva, The Cradle, Tre-cadwgan, Treflodan, Tre maen hir, Vachelich, Waun Vachelich, Whitchurch, Ystafelloedd