The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"WISTON, a parish and parliamentary borough in the hundred of Dungleddy, county Pembroke, 5 miles N.E. of Haverfordwest. It takes its name from Castell Gwys, a fortified seat built by Sir P. Gwys, the Norman, and which was twice attacked by the Welsh in the 12th century; of the castle, which came through Gwgan ap Bleddyn to the Wogans, only a small fragment now remains at a farm. The borough, which is under a nominal mayor, is contributory to Pembroke, and is coextensive with the parish. The population in 1861 was 713. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £170. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. A fair is held on the 20th October. The Earl of Cawdor is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018