Hide

Bleddfa

hide
Hide

"BLETHVA (BLEDDVA), a parish partly in the hundred of KEVENLLEECE, and partly in that of KNIGHTON, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Knighton, containing 233 inhabitants. This parish is situated within the boundaries of the forest of Blethva, and near the river Lug, and is intersected by the high roads from Knighton in this county, and from Builth. in the county of Brecknock, to Newtown in Montgomeryshire. Its aspect is barren and uninviting : a great part of it being little better than a dreary unproductive waste, agriculture is here in a rude state ; the mountains, however, afford pasturage for large flocks of sheep. The petty sessions for the hundred are occasionally held here. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £10. 12. 1., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Mary,.........." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Hide
topup

Bibliography

Bleddfa Excavations, 1961; Summary Account               Radnorshire Society Transactions      vol. 31  1961    Welsh Journals Online

Butler, L A S     The excavation of a mound at Bleddfa Church           Radnorshire Society Transactions      vol. 32  1962    Welsh Journals Online  

Inquisitions post-mortem for the Manor of Bleddfa                  Radnorshire Society Transactions      vol. 33  1963   Welsh Journals Online

Milton, David. A Knighton, Bleddfa, Knighton walk. [Birmingham]: Different Walker Publications , 2002. 42p

Noble, F              Further excavations at Bleddfa Church, and associated problems of the history ofn the Lordship of Bleddfa           Radnorshire Society Transactions      vol. 33  1963   Welsh Journals Online

Wright, Eva. The Bleddfa Trust : a centre for the sacred arts [Bleddfa Church, Powys]. Resurgence 125 (1987), p. 25-6

topup

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G   Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,  Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Blethvaugh or Bleddfa Parish; Statistics; Area 2740 acres; Population 119 males, 115 females, total 234

  • Bleddfa Parish Church      Attendance - morning 36 scholars, afternoon 40 + 38 scholars      1 service in English    "This day was cold and wet which makes a considerable difference in the numbers in country parishes - where many live at a distance"           John Price, Rector

Church of St Mary Magdalene, Bleddfa on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site

Bleddfa church and rectory on the People's Collection Wales site

Baptist Chapel Bleddfa on the People's Collection Wales site

    topup

    Church Records

    Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers

    As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;

    • Baptisms 1603-1686, 1719-1795, 1801-1986; Marriages 1603-1686, 1719-1754, 1755-95, 1813-1971; Burials 1603-1686, 1719-1795, 1801-1984 ; Banns 1824-1983
      Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.  
      Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW 
    topup

    Description and Travel

    Bleddfa Castle on the Castle Wales site

    You can see pictures of Bleddfa which are provided by:

    topup

    Gazetteers

    topup

    Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Bleddfa has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    topup

    History

    Bleddfa War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site

    topup

    Land and Property

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Salwey and Rickards, Solicitors, [Ludlow] Records    "Deeds and related papers, 1606-1871, relating to assorted parishes in Radnorshire and Herefordshire, including deeds for lands in the parishes of .............................. ; Bleddfa, Radnorshire, 1606-1730"
    topup

    Maps

    Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

    Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data

    Bleddfa c 1840 & 1903 - on the Victorian Powys site

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO221685 (Lat/Lon: 52.309001, -3.144064), Bleddfa which are provided by:

    topup

    Population

    Population figures for Bleddfa parish - on the Victorian Powys site

    topup

    Public Records

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Bleddfa Parish Council records 1853-1975
    topup

    Schools

    The school Bleddfa  and Bleddfa school children July 1911 on the People's Collection Wales site