1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Samuel Lewis, 1833CAREGRINA, or CREGRINA (CRUGYNAU), a parish in the hundred of COLWYN, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (E.) from Builth, containing 119 inhabitants. This place is situated upon the banks of the river Edw, or Edwy, which falls into the Wye at Aberedw.
The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Llanbadarn y garreg annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 9. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. David, is a small structure of mean appearance, consisting of a nave and a chancel, neither of which is ceiled; it has no tower, but there is one bell hanging under a small shed. This parish participates in the bequest of the Rev. Rees Powell, of Boughrood, who left certain property for charitable purposes, among which is the apprenticing of one child from it; and the Rev. Thomas Williams gave ten shillings per annum for the relief of decayed housekeepers.
A little above the church there is an artificial elevation, surrounded by a moat, called Pennard's Mount, probably a corruption of the Welsh word Penarth, which is descriptive of its situation at the head, or in front, of a hill : though nothing authentic has been recorded of it, it was, most likely, at some remote period, occupied by a fortress, as it appears well situated for defending the pass of the river and the descent from the hills, being just above a bend of the river, communicating with an ancient castle in the parish of Glascomb, from which it was easy to apprise Colwyn castle, the head of the lordship, of any approach. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 108. 3.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)