"LLOWES, a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (W.) from Hay, containing 372 inhabitants. This parish, which is only of moderate extent, is pleasantly situated on the river Wye, by which it is bounded on the south. ............. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Llanddewi Vach annexed, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 8, 10., and in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Brecknock, to whom the tithes of the parish are appropriated. The church, dedicated to St. Meilig, is an ancient structure,...........Mrs. Susannah Howarth, in 1704, bequeathed a small rent-charge, the produce of which is annually distributed in bread among the poor of the parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 161. 1................( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
A Note on Painscastle and the Hemit of Llowes Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 2 1932 Welsh Journals Online
Davies, D Stedman Wechelen, the Hermit of Llowes Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 2 1932 Welsh Journals Online
Gill, M A V. Scheduled ancient monument R100 (SO 192417): the cross-slab in St Meilig's church, Llowes. Transactions of the Radnorshire Society, 71 (2001), 19-55
Gill, Margaret A V. St Meilig's cross : in Llowes Church? Hereford : Margaret A. V. Gill, 1997. 16p. Originally published as a series of four articles in The Messenger (the monthly magazine for the parishes of the Wye Valley Group).
Powell, A D The Powell Family of Llowes and Clyro in Radnorshire; and and Brilley in Herefordshire, 1581-1800 Radnorshire Society Transactions, vol. 9 1939 Welsh Journals Online
Powell, A D Trailly and Travely; the house in Llowes Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 40 1970 Welsh Journals Online
Powell, A D Some further notes on the Powell family, formerly of The Travely in Llowes Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 23 1953 Welsh Journals Online
Powell, A D An 18th century change in Powell ownership of Traveley Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 53 1983 Welsh Journals Online
Powell, A D Coel Hen to Rhys Gryg Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 55 1985 Welsh Journals Online
Quiney, A P The Old Vicarage, Llowes, Powys Radnorshire Society Transactions Vol 52 1982 Welsh Journals Online
Victorian Powys for schools - Census figures for Llowes parish 1841-1901
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llowes Parish; Statistics; Area 3319 acres; Population 172 males, 187 females, total 359
Church of St Meilig, Llowes on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1701-1954; Marriages 1701-1753, 1760-1971; Burials 1701-1955; Banns 1823-1867
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llowes to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llowes has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Boughrood and Llowes tithe maps and awards 1839-1843
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
Howes around 1840 & 1900 - on the Victorian Powys site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO175426 (Lat/Lon: 52.075861, -3.205862), Llowes which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)