Eglwys Newydd,Yr / Newchurch
"NEWCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of PAINSCASTLE, county of RADNOR, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Kington, containing 164 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the small river Arrow, nearly on the confines of Herefordshire, and is intersected by a road leading from Hay to New Radnor.......................The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Brecknock, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £5.6.8., endowed with £ 200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's : a small estate called Catriggin belongs to the rectory. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, .................. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 86. 7.. " ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis, 1833)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Newchurch Parish (Diocese of St Davids); Statistics; Area 1788 acres; Population 84 males, 69 females, total 153
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;
- Newchurch St Mary
- Newchurch Ebenezer Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel
Church of St Mary, Newchurch on the Radnorshire Churches Survey site
Detailed information on deposited registers and transcripts for this parish is given on the Powys Archives page Radnorshire parish registers
As a guide only, the principal extant parochial church records for this parish span the dates shown below (as detailed in Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 2000) but exact current holdings should be confirmed with the individual Archives;
- Baptisms 1708-1981; Marriages 1708-1748, 1755-1811, 1837-1971; Burials 1708-1981; Banns 1825-1981
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives.
Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eglwys Newydd,Yr / Newchurch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Eglwys Newydd,Yr / Newchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Cutaway reconstruction drawing of Great House, Newchurch, Radnorshire - on the People's Collection Wales site
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO207501 (Lat/Lon: 52.143415, -3.160715), Eglwys Newydd,Yr / Newchurch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)