Here is a summary of articles relating to education in Wales which are either hosted on or linked from the various counties
Also see the lists of books and articles on the separate county Bibliography sections
1.Articles from the report extracted on Genuki's pages
- The Blue Books of 1847 (Report of Commission of Enquiry into the State of Education in Wales,1847)
- The Journal of William Roberts ('Nefydd'), 1853-62. Jones, E D.National Library of Wales Journal Vol VIII/2 Winter, 1953 et al.
- The complete series of eight articles have been extracted'
Introduction; "William Roberts, a Baptist Minister at Blaina, Monmouthshire, and author of Crefydd yr Oesoedd Tywyll... 1852, a study of Mari Lwyd and Welsh folk customs, was in 1853 appointed agent in South Wales for the British and Foreign School Society. He was a native of Lannefydd, Denbighshire, hence his penname 'Nefydd'. The draft of the journal of his activities, written for the information of the Society's Committee, from 1853 to 1862 is preserved as N.L.W. MS. 7106. It is a valuable document for the history of the development of elementary education in South Wales. "
- Sir John Philipps of Picton, the SPCK and the Charity School Movement in Wales 1699-1737. Shankland, Thomas[Rev]. Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, Session 1904-05.
- British Schools in South Wales, The Rev William Roberts (Nefydd), South Wales, Representative of the British and Foreign School Society, 1853-1863, Davies, B L.. National Library of Wales Journal. 1974, Winter. Volume XVIII/4
- Narberth County Intermediate School, 1895-1924, Davies, Wynford. . National Library of Wales Journal, Vol XXIII/1, Summer 1983. This article deals with the general educational and social background to secondary education in Wales in late Victorian times - as well as Narberth in particular.
- Colliery Schools in South Wales in the Nineteenth Century. Evans, Leslie Wynne.. National Library of Wales Journal. 1957, Winter. Volume X/2
- Copper-Works Schools in South Wales during the Nineteenth Century. Evans, Leslie Wynne. National Library of Wales Journal. 1959, Summer Volume XI/1. There are 27 Appendices which contain data
- School Boards and the Works School System after the Education Act of 1870. Evans, Leslie Wynne. National Library of Wales Journal. 1967, Summer Volume XV/1
- Voluntary Education in the Industrial Areas of Wales before 1870. Evans, Leslie Wynne. National Library of Wales Journal. Vol XIV/4, Winter 1966
- The First Reports of Owen M. Edwards on Welsh Intermediate Schools. Webster, J R.. National Library of Wales Journal. 1958, Winter Volume X/4. (The schools featured are in Caernarvonshire)
2. Articles/databases linked from our pages
- The National Library of Wales Education Service - on the NLW blog
- The Blue Books of 1847. An inquiry into the state of education in Wales - the full transcription is on the NLW's Digital Mirror site
- Welsh School magazines and newspapers - a list on the NLW site
- The Aberdare Report and education in Wales, 1881, Evans, Gareth W. Welsh History Review 11
- The Welsh National Council for Education, 1903-6 , Evans, Leslie Wynne. Welsh History Review 6
- The Welsh Intermediate and Technical Education Act 1889 and the education of girls. Evans, W Gareth. Welsh History Review 15
- 'Organise the training of Welsh teachers and liberalise their education': Tom Ellis and reform of teaching . Evans, W Gareth. Welsh History Review 19
- The 'bilingual difficulty': HMI and the Welsh language in the Victorian age. Evans, W Gareth. Welsh History Review 16
- The Welsh Educational Alliance and the 1870 Elementary Education Act . Hargest, Leighton. Welsh History Review 10
- Welsh Students at Oxford and Cambridge Universities in the Middle Ages. Hays, Rhys W. Welsh History Review 4
- The Foundations of Modern Wales 1642 - 1780. Jenkins, Geraint H . Clarendon Press, University of Wales Press, 1987. Here is an extract of GRIFFITH JONES AND THE CIRCULATING SCHOOLS pages 370 - 381)
- The Origins and Establishment of the Welsh Department of Education. Randall, P J. Welsh History Review, vol 7/4 June 1975
- Welsh society and university funding, 1860-1914 . Roderick, Gordon W. Welsh History Review 20
- The Welsh Intermediate Education Act of 1889. Webster, J R. Welsh History Review 4
- 'Learning suitable to the situation of the poorest classes': The National Society and Wales, 1811-1839 Williams, H G.. Welsh History Review 19
- The Forster Education Act and Welsh Politics 1870-74 Williams, H G. Welsh History Review 14
- Longueville Jones and Welsh Education: the neglected case of a Victorian H.M.I. Williams, H G. Welsh History Review 15
- Arthur Acland, Tom Ellis and Welsh education: a study in the politics of idealism Williams, H G. Welsh History Review 17
- Alumni Oxonienses 1715 - 1886. This extract of Dyfed students from a reproduction on CD of the four volumes of Alumni Oxonienses 1715-1886 published by the (Archive CD Books) Project. Extracted and transcribed for the Dyfed FHS by Jonathan Pike. All references to the Dyfed students have been included plus individuals who are known to be connected to Dyfed familes.
- Educational charities in Cardiganshire in the period 1833-35: their origin and value. Trott, A L. Ceredigion, Vol IV
- Elementary day schools for the children of the working classes in Cardiganshire in 1847. Trott, A L. Ceredigion, Vol II
- The Implementation of the 1870 Education Act in Cardiganshire during the period 1870-1880. Trott, A L. Ceredigion, vol3
- Addysg yng Ngheredigion [ Education in Ceredigion], 1800-1850, Yn Ol Y Cofiannau. Thomas, Dewi W. Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol VI, No 1, 1968
- The Welsh Intermediate Education Act and Cardiganshire. Griffiths, Stuart. Ceredigion : Journal of the Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society, Vol VIII, No 1, 1976
- Addysg elfennol yn Sir Aberteifi, 1870-1902. Davies, Griffith G. Ceredigion Vol IV
- 'Social class, curriculum and the concept of relevance in secondary education, 1889-1914'. Roderick, Gordon Wynne. Welsh History Review, 19 (1998), 289-318.
- Aspects of change in secondary education in Pembrokeshire 1880-1930. Davies, Wynford Journal of the Pembrokeshire Historical Society vol 1 1985
- Schools in Glamorgan Society before 1914. Stead, Peter. Morgannwg, xix 1975
- Religious influence and educational progress in Glamorgan, 1800-33 . Owen-Jones, Sheila M. Welsh History Review 13
- 'Board school v. intermediate school: an aspect of secondary education in Cardiff, 1880-1904'. Impey, Arthur. Morgannwg, 25 (1981)