The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CLAPTON, a parish in the hundred of Navisford, in the county of Northampton, 4 miles E. of Thrapston, its post town, and 3 E. of Titmarsh. The village is very small, and the inhabitants wholly engaged in agriculture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough, value £154, in the patronage of G. and W. G. Shedden, Esqrs. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a neat building, in good repair, and formerly possessed a beautiful tower, which was destroyed by lightning. There are monuments in the church to the memory of the Dudley, Breton, and Williams families. The charities amount to £11 per annum. Liveden House, now in ruins, was erected by the Treshams."