The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"GREAT OAKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Corby, county Northampton, 4 miles N. of Kettering. It anciently formed part of Rockingham Forest. The village, which is inconsiderable, is situated on the road from Kettering to Rockingham, near a branch of the river Nen. It is a meet for the Warwick hounds. The principal residence is Oakley House, the seat of Sir W. de Capell Brooke, Bart. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Peterborough, value £50. The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and has a tower built about 1600 with materials supposed to have been brought from Pipewell Abbey, about 3 miles distant. There is a chapel for Dissenters.