Get started as a maintainer
Help and Guidance 2020: New Page: Version 1.1
You will have been sent a user name and password. There is no login option offered on the home screen to avoid confusing visitors about whether they need to register or login. Simply go to the Login page and enter your details.
You will be taken to your profile page showing some details and a menu of actions. A blue menu bar will also have appeared at the top of the screen with your name and some other options. If you go to the login page accidentally when already logged in you are redirected to the profile page.
Three Menus to use
In addition to the light blue navigation panel (with the GENUKI logo) that appears on all pages you will find two menu bars visible at the top of the page on all pages while you are logged in:
- The Blue Bar: this appears at the very top of the screen
- The White Bar: Immediately below the Blue Bar it is effectively a sub menu for the options on that Blue Bar
In addition for any page that belongs to you - where you are able to edit - you will find that there are additional options in set of tabs just below the main title: Page Tab Bar
From Left to right you will see:
- [Your login name]
Clicking on each of these will reveal a different white bar. Note that the white bar becomes light blue when you have selected one of the items.
White Bar: Manage
The options are from left to right:
- A Drupal icon: providing for you to logout
- Content: with submenus to allow you to add all the various types of content
White Bar: Shortcuts
The options generally refer to and give access to lists of all content of particular types in GENUKI. They are from left to right:
- Add content: Click on this item to get a page showing all possible content types. You can then select a type to add.
- All Errors: This will show a list of the number of nodes with various types of errors ordered by geography and maintainer. Clicking on a blue number shows more detail.
- All Nodes: Similarly for Nodes
- All Media: Similarly for media items
- Gazetteer: Similarly for Gazetteer
- Churches: Similarly for Churches
- Bulk Ops: This gives access to methods of making the same search and replace change to a number of nodes at once. See more detail [LINK TO BE ADDED]
- Orphans: All Place nodes and plain nodes should be linked to a parent. This shows the ones that have no such link and probably need correct
- Tickets: Shows the full list of tickets and gives the opportunity to submit a new support ticket
- Help: Links to the top level of the help information
Some of the pages accessed via the short cuts have the means of filtering the lists.
White Bar: Your login name
There are three items from left to right:
- View Profile
- Edit Profile
Clicking on View Profile shows the view of your profile page
There are a few details about you and a record of three settings:
- Suppress Topic Links: Off
- Suppress Link Errors: Off
- Suppress Topic Subfields: On
The use of these settings is discussed below
View Profile: Page Tab Bar
- View: Click on this to get back to the view if you have used other tabs
- Edit: Allows you to edit your settings [See below]
- My Nodes Again just what it says: all the pages (nodes) for which you are responsible or have rights to edit.
- My Media: Those items in the media library uploaded for your county:
- My Errors Click this tab to get just what it says: the errors (including the link errors) on all of your pages. Click on the numbers to see the list of errors. [LINK Reference to other howto]
- My Tickets: the list of tickets for support action that you have submitted
- Assigned Tickets: Generally tickets are assigned to one of the executive team so this list should be empty for other maintainers.
You can enter a number of obvious personal details here. The three settings shown on the view profile page are as follows and can now be edited on or off:
- Suppress Link Errors This field should be ticked if you wish to suppress the list of link errors at the top of the Node Edit screen.
- Suppress Topic Links This field should be ticked if you wish to suppress the list of topic links at the top of the Node Edit screen.
- Suppress Topic SubfieldsThis field should be ticked if you wish to suppress the Sub-Topic and Topic Description sub-fields within each Topic field on the Node Edit screen.
The defaults allow you to see both the link errors and the list of topics already in use when you are editing a node. Most people do not use Sub Topics so that defaults to suppressed.
Page Tab Bar
On almost all pages under the main title you will find a line of tabs. These vary with context, including the type of page being viewed and whether you are logged in. If
All users (visitors and maintainers when they are not logged in) will see the following on Place pages but only the first and last items on plain pages. There are a few exceptions to this approach. The details of the individual items are [LINK here] in the help for visitors:
- Nearby Churches
- Nearby Places
- Place Search
- County Map
On pages for which you are the maintainer you will see the additional items that offer the main tools for maintainers. They are described in more detail [ LINK TO ADD here].:
- What links here