Quick Start for Visitors
Help and Guidance 2021: New Page: Version 1.1
You do not need to register or login to see all of the information on GENUKI.
- If you are visiting for the first time or just want to get started quickly follow the advice below on how to navigate the site.
- You can look at all the help for visitors;
- If you are new to genealogy there is a guide to getting started in genealogy
Navigating places and topics
When you arrive at the home page you can get information about a place or a topic by following links from three areas on the page:
- Menu The menu offers the opportunity to go to one of the countries or counties in UK + I. That will quickly get you to a level of detail that may be interesting. It also links to other parts of GENUKI.
- Buttons The set of buttons on either side of the main logo also offers routes to the Countries and there are links to some of the other broad information that GENUKI has, including the Church database and the Gazetteer
- Central Logo Clicking on the main logo in the centre takes you to a much more detailed page. It still deals with the whole of GENUKI's area (The UK and the whole of the island of Ireland, together with the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man).
You can also use the search box in the centre under the menu: type the name of a town or parish and you will be given a number of links about that area.
All information is found under a topic heading on a page about a place (UK + I, Country, County or Parish). The topics available on each page are drawn from a standard list and reflect the information available. They are in two lists at the head of the page around a map. You can click on the topic to see the entry on the page (or a higher level page - see below).
The map will generally be clickable to get to the smaller places (ie country from UK + I and county from country). There are too many parishes to use maps in this way and there is a link on each county page to a page giving full details of and links to the parishes in that county.
Seeing all available information on a topic for a place
In Place Pages there are two additional ways to see the full information that may be available of relevance to that place.
Topic Up Arrows [pic]
You will see these alongside each topic title that is displayed in a place page with some information on that page. Clicking on that arrow will find and display the information on that topic in all the higher level (larger) places containing your starting place.
For example if you are viewing a parish page and use this topic up arrow you will see a page with parish, county, country and UK+I headings and the entries on the topic on each of those pages. If the entries are on associated pages rather than the higher level place page itself then they will initially appear as blue bars. Click on the bars to see the whole of that entry. If you start at a higher level (eg county) you will only see the remaing levels above that (two entries for country and UK+I).
Topic Triangles [pic]
You will see these alongside some of the topic links in the two columns either side of the map in place pages. They will only appear on topics that do not have an entry lower down that same place page.
They show that there is relevant information at the next level up (eg county having some topic information relevant to parishes). If you click on that link (not the triangle itself) you will be taken to the topic entry in that next level up.
You can quickly go back up to a higher level (from parish to county for example) using the "breadcrumb" links that will have appeared in the panel in the light blue bar at the top.
You can also go to any country or county using the dark blue drop down menus.
Each page has a search box at the top centre. If you enter the name of a parish you will get a list of results for that parish: the first one is usually the main parish page. Search is explained here and we go into more depth here