Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"WHIPSNADE, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Beds, 5 miles south-west of Luton, and 3 south west of the railway station at Dunstable. The village is situated on the borders of Hertfordshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £155. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a Sunday-school. Whipsnade is a meet for Mr. Brand's hounds."
"THE GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Whipsnade, county of Bedfordshire, adjoining Whipsnade to the west."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
- The church of St. Mary Magdalene is a structure of brick, rebuilt on the foundation of an earlier church, in a mixed style, and consisting of chancel, nave and a western tower, containing 3 bells: it was restored and re-pewed, and a chancel added, in 1860 : there are sittings for 150 persons. The register dates from the year 1682. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There is a small Wesleyan chapel, built in 1858. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The scenery surrounding the parish church and the downs is beautiful and picturesque. Arthur Macnamara esq. of Caddington Hall, who is lord of the manor, and Earl Brownlow, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and turnips. The area is 928 acres; rateable value, £676; the population in 1891 was 151. Under a provisional order of the Local Government Board, dated September 30th 1897, a detached porti on of Whipsnade, in Herts (known as Ballington Bottom), was transferred to the newly-formed parish of Markyate (Herts.). [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
You can see pictures of Whipsnade which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Whipsnade has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL010140 (Lat/Lon: 51.815468, -0.536192), Whipsnade which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Whipsnade War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.