Cuddington

"Cuddington is situated in a narrow alley north of the road from Aylesbury to Thame, near the course of a brook which, arising at Eythorp in Waddesdon, runs westward, and, turning an ancient mill belonging to Notley Abbey, is dignified with the apellation of the River Thame, at its entrance into Oxfordshire. This parish is bounded on the north by Upper and Nether Winchendon, on the east by Dinton, on the south by Haddenham, and on the west by Chearsley; containing about 1240 acres, of which two-thirds are in tillage." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred part two, Town and Environs, Volume 8", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 120 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £8.3.11 of which sum Widow Moores and Mr Randolph both contributed £0.10.0 each.

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 103 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Cuddington.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 435 inhabitants in 120 families living in 102 houses recorded in Cuddington.

Census Year Population of Cuddington
1801* 435
1811* 462
1821* 547
1831* 620
1841 626
1851 623
1861 590
1871 532
1881 476
1891 443
1901 455

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Cuddington area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Nicholas, Cuddington have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1653 - 1911
Marriages 1657 - 1986
Burials 1653 - 1906

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1590 - 1812
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Cuddington showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Cuddington, St Nicholas 32 - Morning General Congregation
70 - Morning Sunday Scholars
102 - Morning Total

105 - Afternoon General Congregation
80 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
185 - Afternoon Total

Cuddington, The Baptist
Meeting House
65 - Morning Sunday Scholars

130 - Afternoon General Congregation

100 - Evening General Congregation

Cuddington, Wesleyan
Methodist Chapel
45 - Morning General Congregation

63 - Evening General Congregation

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Cuddington which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cuddington to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Cuddington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Cuddington was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

CUDDINGTON, in the hundred of Aylesbury and deanery of Wendover, lies about six miles nearly west of Aylesbury. The manor was anciently annexed to the church of Rochester, but (by some exchange it supposed) became vested in the crown. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth it was conveyed by the Goodwyns to the Tyringhams; what became of it afterwards is not known. The late Lord Wenman claimed manerial rights in Cuddington, as annexed to the manor of Haddenham. James Holyman, the second bishop of Bristol, who wrote boldly against the divorce of Catharine of Arragon, was a native of this place.

The parochial chapel of Cuddington is annexed to the Church of Haddenham: the great tithes are appropriated to the dean and chapter of Rochester. Browne Willis speaks of a medicinal spring near this village, formerly in great repute: it appears by the tradition of the inhabitants, that this is the spring from which a small stream called Dadbrook takes its rise; its virtues are still talked of, but it has long been wholly disused.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Cuddington means 'Cuda's farm', although the original form of the persons name may have been Cudda, Cuddi, or Cuda.