Little Kimble

"KIMBLE PARVA is, as its name expresses, a small parish, situated at about the distance of one mile North of Great Kimble; by which it is bounded on the West, as it is on the North, by Stoke-Mandeville, and on the East by Wendover, and the South by Ellesborough. The surface of the country is greatly diversified, and the inequalities of hill and dale remakably abrupt. At this extreme point commences, the Chiltern Hills, characterized by the perculiar formation which marks the chalky and flinty stratum, and entirely different from the ordinary strata of the County. The view, extending along the brow of that immense range of eminences, completely varies the surface of the whole district, by a picturesque variety of uncommon beauty and interest, stretching to the high hills of Oxfordshire and Berkshire, and forming a barrier between the clayey and alluvious soil of the Vale of Aylesbury, and the chalk and flint of its southern boundary." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]
topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred part three - Risboroughs, Missendens and their environs, Volume 9", Peter Quick.

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 33 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £3.14.6 of which sum Nicholas Cantrell rector, Job Gibson generosus,Widow Statham, and Charles Bowler each contributed £0.10.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 35 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Little Kimble.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 142 inhabitants in 32 families living in 32 houses recorded in Little Kimble.

Census Year Population of Little Kimble
1801* 142
1811* 143
1821* 165
1831* 176
1841 177
1851 184
1861 182
1871 203
1881 161
1891 170
1901 158

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Little Kimble area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for All Saints, Little Kimble have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1675 - 1812
Marriages 1657 - 1912
Burials 1658 - 1811

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
1726 - 1782
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
1657 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Burials
1726 - 1782
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Little Kimble showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Little Kimble, All Saints 24 - Morning General Congregation
Little Kimble,
Meeting Chapel
55 - Morning General Congregation

55 - Afternoon General Congregation

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Little Kimble which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Kimble to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Little Kimble has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Little Kimble was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

LITTLE-KIMBELL or KIMBLE, in the hundred of Aylesbury and deanery of Wendover, lies about three miles to the south-west of Wendover. The manor, which was formerly in the Hampdens, passed by a female heir, about the year 1553, to Sir Geoge Pawlet, whose grandaughter, Elizabeth, brought it in marriage to Oliver St. John, son and heir of Oliver Lord St. John, of Bletsoe, who, jointly with his wife, sold it about the year 1600, to Richard Waller esq. of Coleshill, in the parish of Amersham. After this, the manor of Little-Kimble passed by sale to the families of Serjeant and Bracy, and by inheritance or marriage to the families of Croke and Ledwell. In 1792 it was purchased of William Bridges Ledwell esq. of Woodperry, in the county of Oxford, by Scrope Barnard esq. of Nether-Winchenden, the present proprietor, who has been laying out grounds with an intention of building at this place.

The advowson of the rectory has been for more than a century in the family of Chapman: the present rector is both patron and incumbent. An act of parliament passed in 1803, for inclosing this parish, when an allotment of land was assigned to the rector in lieu of tithes: the woodlands still continue titheable.

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Kimble derives from the old english words cyne, belle and means 'Royal bell-shaped hill'. The name Little being used as a distinguishing affix.