"EAST GARSTON, a parish in the hundreds of Lambourn and Moreton, county Berks, 3 miles S.E. of Lambourn, and 6 N.E. of Hungerford station. It is situated on the river Lambourn, a branch of the Kennet, and is well wooded. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £239, in the patronage of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome structure, with square tower. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and there is a National school, with an endowment of £6 per annum. Sir Robert Burdett is lord of the manor.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland(1868). Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.
Other descriptions can be found from other periods in various trade directories covering Berkshire from the early 19th century onwards, from Berkshire FHS, and from A Vision of Britain Through Time.