GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

BENWICK

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]

"BENWICK, formerly a hamlet in the parish of Doddington, is now a parish, 5 miles west from Wimblington station on the Cambridge and Wisbech section of the London and North Eastern railway, 8 north-west by road from Chatteris and 8 south-west from March, in the union and hundred of North Witchford, Isle of Ely petty sessional division and county court district of March, rural deanery of March, and in the archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely.

The land, which consists entirely of fen, is also distributed among many freeholders. The soil is fen; subsoil, clay and gault. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 3,181 acres of land and 27 of water; the population in 1921 was 808.

Further, Benwick, formerly a hamlet in the parish of Doddington, was formed into a parish in 1868. The parish of Benwick was united with that of Doddington in 1982 and the parish church of St. Mary was demolished 1983-85."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Military History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014