Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"CASTLE CAMPS is a large and straggling parish, 3 miles south-east from Bartlow station on the Cambridge and Melford branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 5 south-east from Linton, in the hundred of Chilford, union and petty sessional division of Linton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
This and the neighbouring parish of Shudy Camps are said to have derived their names from ancient encampments in these parishes. Here was once a castle of the De Veres, Earls of Oxford, and on the site which adjoins the church there is now a farmhouse, surrounded by deep moat. The Governors of Charterhouse, London are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Messrs. Christopher Blewitt, John Perry Brown, William Kiddy and William Tilbrook. The soil is clay; sub-soil, chalk and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oat and barley. The area is 3,184 acres; the population in 1921 was 551 in the civil and 530 in the ecclesiastical parish. By a Provisional Order which came into operation March 25th, 1885, all that portion of Helions Bumpstead (Essex) parish in Cambridgeshira was amalgamated with this parish for civil purposes.
Half a mile west of the church is CAMPS END, a hamlet of this parish. CAMPS GREEN and OLMSTEAD GREEN are also places in the parish."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]