[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"CHEVELEY, a parish in the hundred of CHEVELEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Newmarket, containing 521 inhabitants. The living is a fectory, in the archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at £16. 8. l£., and in the patronage of James Thomas Hand. The church is. dedicated to St. Mary. A. free'grammar school was founded, in 1558, by John Ray, Esq., with an endowment of forty-nine acres and a half of land in the parish, producing an annual income of about £ 35, to which, in augmentation of the master's salary, Lord Dover added a farm at Worlington in Suffolk. In 1748, Mr. John Warren bequeathed £300 New South Sea annuities, for teaching girls to read and sew."