[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"COTON, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Cambridge, containing 228 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £6. 12. 11,, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Catharine Hall, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Peter: Dr. Andrew Downes, Greek Professor at Cambridge, and translator of the Apocrypha, died here in 1627."