Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
[Extracted from A brief history of Ely and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements 1868]
"COVENEY is a parish in the hundred of South Witchford. Coveney, including the chapelry of Manea and the hamlet of Wardy-hill, contains 8,420 acres ; its population is now about 1,600 souls. The amount of assessed property is £9,670. Among the principal proprietors of the soil are the Earl of Hardwicke and Lord Rokeby. The manor formed part of the ancient possessions of the monks of Ely, and having been for some time wrongfully, withheld from them, was recovered by Bishop Nigell, before the year 1169. It does not appear when it came into lay hands, but Warren-de-Lisle seized it in 1297 and it continued with his descendants for nearly a century. It was afterwards successively in the families of Steward and Drake, from the latter of which it passed in marriage to the Robinsons, and it is now the property of Lord Rokeby, the lineal descendant of the same family. Coveney stands on an eminence, about five miles north-west from Ely, and four miles cast frorn Sutton. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small ancient edifice, in which are the old open benches of oak, some of which are richly carved. In the chancel is a double piscina under a single arch. The living is a rectory, with the curacy of Manea, rated in the king's books at £5., but now returned at £809 nett per annum. The patronage is invested in Lord Rokeby. The tithes were commuted in 1844, for a rent-charge of £231 12s. 3d., and there are 31 acres of glebe land. The celebrated Dr. Conyers Middleton was rector of Coveney. Here is a chapel, capable of accommodating about 200, appropriated to the use of a sect, calling themselves "Christian Baptists." The National School, for both sexes, is a neat building near the church."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from A brief history of Ely and neighbouring villages in the Isle' by J.H. Clements 1868]