[Transcribed information from Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer of England - 1750] (unless otherwise stated)
"ELY, (Cambridgeshire) 57 cm. 69 mm, from London, in the isle of Ely, which gives title of Marquiss to the Pr. of Wales, is an ancient city; which, being surrounded by the Ouse and other streams, is therefore unhealthy, though it stands on a rising ground. Here was anciently a mon. which in 1109 was made the see of Bps. who were counts palatine through the whole isle of Ely, till the R. of Hen. VIII. Its minster, or cathedral, and the palace, are its chief ornaments. The former has a stately cupola, which is seen at a vast distance, but seems to totter with every blast of wind. 'Tis a large T. but not populous, nor beautiful; and has great plenty of provisions. 'Tis observed to be the only city in England, subordinate to the Bp. in its civil Gt. and unrepresented in Pt. Here is a fr. sc. and 2 ch. scs. The chief street is full of springs; where are wells bricked up knee high, almost every hundred yards, which generally overflow from one to another, all the way down the hill, 'Tis so encoropassed with gardens, that it serves all the country round, as far as Cambridge; and St. Ives is supplied from hence with greens, and other garden-stuff; and they are particularly noted for vast quantities of strawberries. The Mt. here is Saturday, Fair October 18."