Geographical and Historical information from the year 1872.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1872]
"GAMLINGAY is a parish and station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North-Western railway, 50 miles from London and 6 south-east from St. Neots, in the hundred of Longstow, union of Caxton and Arrington, rural deanary of Bourn, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, having Bedfordshire on the west and south sides of the parish, and Hunts on the north.
The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and beans. The area is 4,143 acres; rateable value, £8,163; the population in 1871 was 2,063, including the hamlet of Woodbury, one mile west from Gamlingay Sinks. Tetworth is a mile and half west."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1872]