GENUKI Home page    Grantchester Parish<br>main page Grantchester
Parish
main page

GRANTCHESTER:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)

"GRANTCHESTER, a parish in the hundred of WETHERLEY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Cambridge, containing 344 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £7. 14. 4., and in the patronage of the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary and St. Andrew, was erected early hi the fifteenth century; a portion of the interior is remarkably light and elegant. This is said to have been the Camboritum of Antonine, situated on the banks of the Granta, now the river Cam, the present Saxon name confirming the opinion of its having been the site of a Roman station. About the year 700, according to Bede, "Grantchester was a desolate little city, near the walls of which was found a beautiful coffin of white marble." Dr. Cay supposes the station to have extended not only as far as Cambridge, but northward, beyond the castle: foundations of buildings have been frequently discovered between the village of Grantchester and the town of Cambridge, the latter being supposed to have risen out of the ruins of the Roman station."

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014