[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"LITTLE GRANSDEN, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, county Cambridge,
mile south of Great Gransden, 6 miles south-west of St. Neot's, and 3 south-west of Caxton,
its post town. There are railway stations at Sandy and St. Neot's on the
Great Northern line at equal distances from the village, which is small and
wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land or money payment
under an Enclosure Act in 1813. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of
Ely, value £208, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is modern, and
is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. The charities consist of an endowment
of £14 to the free school, and about £30 annually, arising from rents, and
given to the poor. There is a National school for both sexes.
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
GREAT GRANSDEN which adjoins Little Gransden, is in Huntingdonshire. ."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone of the latter part or the
13th century, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays aisles and a lofty embattled
western tower containing 3 bells: the chancel was restored in 1858 and its east end
rebuilt and a stained window inserted by the Rev. Alfred Newby, a former rector,
in 1875 : the church was restored in 1885-8, at a cost of £700 and affords 250 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1730. "
[Kelly's Directory - 1872]
- Church of England
- Little Gransden, SS. Peter and Paul:
Records of baptisms 1730-1902, marriages 1730-1969, burials 1730-1812 and banns
for 1754-1812 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, indexed transcripts exist for
the years 1600-1836. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1870 can be found
in the Cambridge University Library.
War Memorial has been transcribed and the men researched.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1946-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015