|Newton Near Cambridge
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"NEWTON NEAR CAMBRIDGE is a parish on the Barkway high road between Cambridge and London, nearly (sic) mile south from Harston station on the Cambridge, Royston and Hitchin branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 6 south from Cambridge, in the hundred of Thriplow, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
Newton Hall is the property and residence of Lady Walston. Newton Manor House is now (1929) unoccupied. The Dean and Chapter of Ely are impropriators of the great tithes and lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Ven. William Philip Hurrell M.A. and Lady Walston. The soil is chalky; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 994 acres; the population in 1921 was 197."