"OVER, a parish in the hundred of Papworth, county Cambridge, 5 miles south-east of St. Ives, its post town, 9 from Huntingdon, and 1 mile from the Swavesey station, on the Great Eastern railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the river Ouse. A portion of the land is fenny, with pasture. The soil consists of a strong clay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £108, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has been thoroughly restored and the north aisle rebuilt. On the west door was carved a figure of the Virgin clothed with the sun. The parochial charities produce about £401 per annum, of which £366 is realised from town lands, and £20 goes to the school. There is a National school for both sexes, also British and Sunday schools. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. There is a townhall, which was rebuilt in 1849. E. Foster, Esq., is lord of the manor."